Business Connect is a new digital service platform that will allow businesses to apply for things like licences and permits from different government agencies in one place.
Business Connect is powered by the New Zealand Business Number (NZBN)(external link). Once a business registers for Business Connect their NZBN will pre-populate all the key information about their business that we frequently ask them to supply.
Business Connect is one of a range of initiatives the Government is focusing on to help make our small businesses the best supported in the world.
What businesses tell us
Businesses tell us that they spend a lot of time and effort trying to navigate complex and fragmented public services – just so they can make sure the compliance box is ticked.
Common complaints include:
- needing to repeat the same information over and over
- that rules and processes are too complicated to understand or follow, and
- that coordination between government agencies is limited
Businesses also tell us that the most important services to them are the licences, permits, registrations, certifications and authorisations that they legally require to operate. Twenty-seven percent of businesses across New Zealand require some type of permission from government. Examples include alcohol licences for a café, heavy vehicle licences or occupational dive licences.
Because of the importance of these to NZ businesses, this is the initial focus for Business Connect. Over time, Business Connect will enable businesses to apply for, renew, manage and track the licences and permits related to their business from one place.
We’ll make things even easier by giving businesses a more consistent experience, the ability to re-use the information they’ve stored in their profile and the ability to track their applications every step of the way so they know where they stand.
The first services on Business Connect are now available. Further services will be added over the coming months.
How it works
Business Connect supports the drive towards a more consistent and coordinated business customer experience with government, providing businesses with a more transparent view of their interactions, and reducing the time and effort currently involved to deal with government.
Business Connect will enable businesses to:
- access and manage their business information from one place
- use the authoritative data government already holds about them – their New Zealand Business Number (NZBN)(external link) will pre-populate the information they’re most often asked to share
- re-use the information they’ve previously provided to government
- connect digitally across both local and central government
- more easily meet their compliance obligations.
Business Connect will help transform government services from:
- paper-based and manual to digital
- duplicated to reusable processes
- fragmented and inconsistent to joined up
- internally focused to business-centric.
While Business Connect is a single platform, businesses will be able to engage with Business Connect services through any of the participating government agencies, and through related digital channels.
In time, business.govt.nz(external link) will be a primary access point as government’s central place for place for information, advice, tools and resources for business.